Avoid Elbow Injuries By Strengthening Your Wrists
Two common sports injuries -- tennis elbow and golfer's elbow -- can actually be caused by weak wrist muscles. If these sports are on your spring agenda, it might serve you well to start strengthening your wrists now.
Here's one wrist-strengthening exercise that can be done with a light- to moderate-weight dumbbell:
- Sit on a bench or chair. Lean slightly forward.
- Holding a dumbbell, rest your forearm along the top of your thigh. (Your elbow should be bent.) Position your forearm so the dumbbell extends past your knee.
- With your palm facing up, bend your wrist back as far as you comfortably can.
- Then bend your wrist upward as far as you comfortably can. Then return to the starting position.
- Do 8 to 12 repetitions with one hand, then the other.