Safety Tips for Runners and Walkers
If your running or walking workouts are taking you to the streets, be sure that you take these safety measures:
- Move against traffic, so you can see upcoming vehicles better.
- Exercise in the daytime. If you have to run at night, wear reflective tape on your shoes and clothing.
- Whenever possible, work out with a partner rather than alone.
- If you are with a buddy, run or walk single file.
- Have your defenses up when you go around curves or approach an intersection; a car that can't see you could be moving too quickly to stop suddenly.
- Carry identification and, if possible, a little change in case you need to make an emergency phone call.