Work More with Deadlifts
The deadlift in an exercise done with a weight bar that works several important muscle groups all-in-one: the quadricep muscles (found at the front of the thigh), the hamstrings (back of the thigh) and the gluteus maximus (buttocks). Here's how to do a deadlift properly:
- Start with the bar resting on the floor in front of you. Bend down at the knees and hips so that your thighs are about parallel to the floor. Grasp the bar with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly stand upright, lifting the bar off the floor as you rise. Don't lock your knees when you're upright.
- During the lift: make sure you are using your thighs to lift, and not your lower back. Also, keep the bar as close to your body as possible.
- Slowly lower the bar to the ground; concentrate on using your leg muscles rather than your lower back.
- Do 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions each.