Developing a Great Strength Training Program
If you are just beginning or renewing a weight-training program, here are some things to consider while developing your program. Weight-training programs have three distinct phases:
- Starter Phase - The emphasis of this phase should be on adaptation and proper technique. During this stage use light weights and perform a high number of reps (12-15). A certified personal trainer can help you get started on the right track with a customized program.
- Progression Phase - During this phase, four changes should occur:
- increase the amount of weight lifted;
- decrease the number of repetitions;
- increase the frequency of training; and
- increase the number of sets per exercise.
- Maintenance Phase - Once you have reached your goal, training must continue so that you can maintain your gains.