A Snacker's Guide to Dried Fruits
Dried fruits are not necessarily low-calorie; if you're trying to lose weight, you'll want to watch your portion sizes, as with any snack. But you can at least avoid those fruits that have calories added.
- Many dried fruits are sweetened with sugar.
- Banana chips are not only sweetened -- but also fried in oil (just like potato chips).
- Some fruits are excellent sources of fiber: Raisins, apples, dates, prunes, figs, pineapples. These are also high in potassium and practically fat-free.
- Dried apricots are loaded with beta carotene.
- Apricots and raisins contain a good amount of iron.