Grilling For Vegetarians
If you're vegetarian -- or just looking for nutritious alternatives to meat -- there's no need to feel excluded from the summertime grilling scene. With just a little preparation, grilled tofu can be just as delicious and as versatile as beef. Grilled tofu works great in sandwiches, on skewers with vegetables and as side dishes.
Here are some general tips:
- Use the solid-block type of tofu; squeeze out the water.
- Cut the block into 1-inch-thick slices. For kabobs, cut the slices into larger chunks that will hold on a skewer.
- Since tofu is relatively tasteless on its own, you'll want to marinate it for at least an hour. Use a store-bought marinade or one you make yourself with olive oil and favorite seasonings.
- Use medium heat. Keep grilling rack about 6 inches above coals or bricks.
- Grill the tofu for 2 or 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned and slightly crispy.