The Best Summer Produce
Summer may be the easiest season for maintaining a healthy diet. Fresh fruits and vegetables abound, giving you lots of opportunity for low-calorie, highly nutritious eating.
Follow these tips for getting the most from your summer produce shopping:
- TOMATOES: Choose firm tomatoes with a pleasant aroma. Store in a cool place but not in the refrigerator (where tomatoes can lose their flavor).
- SWEET PEPPERS: Select peppers that are firm and deep in color.
- CANTALOUPES: Look for melons that are heavy for their size and have no soft spots, mold or cracks. Avoid any with a strong aroma, which indicates over-ripeness.
- PLUMS: Choose ones that yield gently to the touch.
- BERRIES: Select ones that are firm to the touch and bright in color.