Beyond Bran Flakes
Getting enough dietary fiber can have many health benefits, including weight loss and weight maintenance. Adults need between 20 and 35 grams of fiber daily. Increasing your fiber intake is easier than you may think.
Here are a few pointers:
- Eat whole-grain cereals and breads for breakfast. And be sure to compare nutrition labels; some brands may have considerably more fiber than others.
- Eat plenty of fruit; don't peel skins that are edible.
- Have a mixed greens salad every day.
- Use brown rice instead of white; whole-grain pasta instead of regular.
- Throw a handful of beans into your soups and salads.
- Eat vegetables high in fiber, such as carrots and broccoli.