Workout for Beginners
Planning a Workout for Beginners
Has it been a while since you worked out? Maybe you’ve gained some weight, or been gently encouraged by your physician to start an exercise program due to a physical issue or concern. No matter what the reason, being fit has its rewards and it’s great that you’ve decided to look into a workout for beginners. Bally will help you begin experiencing the many benefits in no time.
Your Beginner Workout Routine
There’s good news if you’re planning to start a beginner workout routine… you don’t need to have the workout regimen of a marine boot camp drill sergeant to get in good shape. Here are some facts:
- Moderate, frequent exercise can be very effective in improving and maintaining your fitness level.
- Running, cycling, walking, swimming or performing any sustained aerobic activity three or four times a week at a moderate intensity for 30-45 minutes will help you towards reaching your fitness goals.
- According to the American Council on Exercise (ACE) you can alternatively shoot for three 20-minute sessions at vigorous intensity.
Your Health Club Beginner Workout Routine
Your local Bally Total Fitness club has plenty of opportunities for you to begin an exercise program. When it comes to using equipment or attending Group Exercise classes however, safety should be your first priority. Here are some quick tips to help you avoid injury and help you get the most out of your workouts:
- If you’re unsure of how to use a particular piece of equipment, ask a Personal Trainer for assistance first.
- If you’re not sure how much weight to use, start out with low weight and work your way up.
- Before doing any strength training, warm-up for a minimum of 10-15 minutes with light cardio exercise on the treadmill, elliptical or stationary bicycle.
- Group Exercise classes are a great way to get fit, but make sure to start out with beginner-level classes first.
- Don’t feel pressured to push yourself too hard during an exercise class, and let the instructor know you are new to the class before it begins so they can give modified movements in case the newbies need it.
Running is a Great Workout for Beginners
Whether running outside or on a treadmill, running is a great way to get fit. Here are some practical guidelines to help you with your first steps:
- Get good running shoes (not tennis or cross-training shoes) and clothes that wick away perspiration.
- Alternate running with walking—increase the running time as your current fitness level allows.
- If running outside, face traffic so that you can react if you need to, and avoid dark, secluded areas.
- Increase your running time by no more than 10% per week.
Other Resources to Help You Get Fit
If you’re new to the health club scene, or visiting a new one for the first time, it may seem a little intimidating. At Bally Total Fitness, we make every effort to introduce you to the facilities, classes and amenities – we even give every new member a complimentary Best Start session with a Personal Trainer too. Your Best Start will get you familiar with the best equipment to use to help you reach your goals. If you still need a little extra help to get on track with your workout routine, hiring a Personal Trainer is another option. There may be other resources available to you too, so don’t be afraid to ask!